Thursday, May 21, 2015

A Long Day with Kids

A few weeks ago I was approached with the opportunity to volunteer to watch some kids through my youth group. I knew I had to work all that day but it didn't seem like people were willing to help, so I took the job. The kids were registered to be there from my church because their parents were going to be at our church's "Giving Banquet" to raise the last bit of funds we needed to build our church building. The final day arrived and I went to work as usual. I work at a yogurt shop so I was busy running around until 5'oclock   when my shift ended. I went home where I had one hour until the kids arrived. I asked my mom if the twenty or so kids that did sign up to come to our house so they could play outside and on our trampoline, and since our church's banquet was at the Raven it would be easy for their parents to drop them off on the way. It was a really long night, especially since one of the toddlers kept crying fro his mom. When the banquet ended a few of the parents tried to pay me and a few others for watching their kids. We denied the money although it was tempting for me because I needed to raise more money to raise for my senior trip. We kept saying things like "we advertised this as free" or "you just gave a whole bunch of money to the church its fine" it was true we said those things, but I especially felt good because I knew those families didn't have a lot to begin with and we helped them out a bit, I think that's a part of service.

By Ashlynd Zamora

No comments:

Post a Comment