Sunday, December 14, 2014

tutoring


For one of my volunteer experiences I helped tutor the younger odyssey scholars in math. This was actually a very interesting experience for me. It was different because I realized that although I am in a higher math class and I am good at math. Trying to teach a younger student how to do a simple math problem that he/she does not understand is very difficult. For me 15+5 is simple knowledge, of course it is equal to 20, yet trying to explain how this works to a 6th grader that is a few grades behind in math is very difficult. I learned that being a teacher is very hard. I could not explain that math equation to the younger student on how to do it without giving them the answer. Yet, Mr. Mcnett mad it look so easy when he was able to explain it to the child. I can apply this to my life because I realized that teaching at a younger level does not seem like something I should do. With some of the older students I was able to show them how to do the problems without giving them the answer, as long as they knew their basic math. Even though this was a bit challenging for me I still enjoyed spending time with the younger kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment