Last month, in November, I had the opportunity to get many volunteer hours in, enough to satisfy requirements for the semester. It was a welcome opportunity, and it came with a cost that would prove greater than I expected, but also with great benefit. My task was to be a general assistant for a live production involving huge numbers of people. Specifically, I had the request to help a leader who was well into pregnancy as she managed her assigned children.
In line with requirements, I received no payment and I was not working for an organization upon which my family was in any way financially dependent. I would be present from 6:00 AM to 10:30 PM. As it proved, the requirements of our location meant that I was unable to have any shade during the time I was there, and I did not have a chair, thus placing me under a large degree of physical strain.
I would move a chair about for the leader and assist with the movement of a wagon and several buckets, and so on. Under the circumstances, an extra pair of hands was extremely important as everyone worked throughout the day to get everything ready for the night’s performance. I was badly burned by the sun and was quite exhausted, and I had lost an entire day to work on any school assignments, but the help I was able to provide left me very satisfied, and it was nice to know I helped as everyone gave their performance for the world.
I was not a party to the absurd (and quite accidental) barrage of lights against spectators that occurred afterward, but I can say that I have seen fiery projectiles fall on a crowd with my own two eyes now, and that would be an experience in and of itself.
Hard to starboard, set course for the future!
Having had the opportunity to assist others as they worked to complete a grand project that was near and dear to them, I have the opportunity to consider what my own projects might be as I approach the upcoming semester.
It is my aim to have a project with a direct impact on my immediate community. In a very narrow sense, my immediate neighborhood, I can begin to contemplate possible improvements or services that could be rendered.
It seems from my observations that the small park located not far from my home is very underutilized. I rarely see anyone playing there, and it has suffered from some of the damage that occurs over time. I intend to look into options that I could take to make it a more useful and appreciated area.
By: Duncan Robinson
No comments:
Post a Comment